|Date and time of the event||23-26th January 2023|
|Location||New College Of Florida, FL, 5800 Bay Shore Rd, Sarasota, 34243|
|Hosted by||New College of Florida|
|Open to NCF students|
HPCC Systems is a distributed big data technology used by LexisNexis Risk Solutions Group. It was, in fact, created by LNRS long before Hadoop came along and it still serves as the core technology behind a $3B/year business.
In this workshop you will be introduced to the HPCC Systems technology and to the data flow language used to program on it, ECL. The data you will be examining is a detailed global schedule of airline flights. Each record contains not only takeoff/landing places and times, but details regarding the plane, meals, and crew are included as well.
Monday, January 23
Tuesday, January 24
Wednesday, January 25
Thursday, January 26
Richard Taylor - Bob Foreman - Hugo Watanuki
|What you need|
The following are recommended but optional:
Learn about ECL - HPCC Systems ECL Concepts videos
Learn about ECL - Documentation: https://hpccsystems.com/training/documentation
VS Code - Supported operating systems
Installation instructions: https://wiki.hpccsystems.com/display/hpcc/VS+Code+and+HPCC+Systems+Installation+Cheat+Sheet
ECL IDE -Supported operating systems: Windows
|Internship Opportunities||Find out more about the HPCC Systems intern program|
What can I do to prepare? <review for accuracy>
We have many resources available for you to use to familiarise yourself with our technology and how to use it. If you are new to us, then take some time to find out about HPCC Systems and what we do. Find out how HPCC Systems works, what ECL is and take a look at what goes on in our community.
- Watch a quick overview video about HPCC Systems
- Download the HPCC Systems VM. Select the operating systems you are using first and then check the VM download. Follow the installation guide instructions.
- Note: We will be using a cloud-based HPCC Systems cluster for the workshop.
- You can use your preferred editor to write code but we do have our own, a Windows-based ECL IDE which you can download. On the download page, select Gold and under Operating System, select Windows. Download both the ECL IDE and Client Tools.
- VS Code is a good code editor if you don't use Windows. Installation is slightly more complicated see below and also this cheat sheet:
- Download and install VS Code from here if you don't already have it installed.
- Download the HPCC Systems Client Tools from here.
- Choose your operating system from the popup list.
- Choose the appropriate "Client Tools" option for your operating system. Make sure only one checkbox on the entire page is selected.
- Download and install.
- Launch VS Code, then search for and install the extension named "ECL (Enterprise Control Language) support for Visual Studio Code".
- Once you’re up and running, try out a few examples from the installation guide and tutorials.
- Learn some ECL. This is the language used to write queries. It's easy to use, try it for yourself. Read the documentation or take a training course.
- Take a look at some video tutorials
- Take a look at the information and training examples in this GitHub repository. In particular, please look at the Taxi_Tutorial where you will find the DataSeers contribution which provides examples showing some basic ECL functionality in action.
- Take a look at our Machine Learning Documentation and Sources.