This project is already taken and is no longer available for the 2023 HPCC Systems Intern Program
This project is available as a student work experience opportunity with HPCC Systems. Curious about other projects we are offering? Take a look at our Ideas List.
Student work experience opportunities also exist for students who want to suggest their own project idea. Project suggestions must be relevant to HPCC Systems and of benefit to our open source community.
Find out about the HPCC Systems Summer Internship Program.
The objective of this project is to provide helm chart examples for CSI driver support on various cloud providers and storage types, such as, for example Azure Azurefile, AWS EFS and FSx Lustre, etc.
While adding support for CSI, you will need to consider three possible variations of each scenario:
1) Automatically creating CSI PV/PVC when the HPCC Systems started. The life cycle can be in sync with the HPCC Systems cluster which means when the HPCC Systems cluster is destroyed the PV/PVC will be automatically deleted.
2) Start CSI PV/PVC first with Helm Chart before starting HPCC Systems. The PV/PVC will be still live after HPCC Systems cluster is destroyed. But the deletion of the Kubernetes cluster will destroy the PV/PVC. So the life cycle will be the Kubernetes cluster itself.
3) Start CSI PV/PVC first with Helm Chart before starting HPCC Systems. But the PV/PVC can be persistent even the Kubernetes cluster is destroyed. The life cycle is beyond Kubernetes cluster.
The CSI PV/PVC can be reused by subsequent Kubernetes and HPCC System clusters so it is very useful for data processed once but will be used by various following applications as well.
Please note that Azure File CSI support has been already incorporated in HPCC Systems so this project will focus on AWS EFS and FSx.
HPCC-Platform/helm/examples/azure at master · hpcc-systems/HPCC-Platform (github.com) implemented all 3 cases for Azure File
Also, the students can rely on the current Azure File and EFS examples and adapt them to the CSI driver.
Note as well that the HPCC Systems helm chart currently has basic EFS CSI driver support for AWS, however this provider has recently updated the configuration and documentation of this driver.
Azure and AWS accounts will be provided for the student as part of this project.
Completion of this project involves:
- Create AWS EFS case 3) and FSx case 2 and 3) in https://github.com/hpcc-systems/helm-chart including documentation (README.md).
By the mid term review we would expect you to have:
- Understand CSI driver and complete basic AWS EFS case 3) with CSI implementation for HPCC Systems Cluster Deployment
Backup Mentor: Godson Fortil
AWS EFS Helm Example
End of project
AWS EFS and FSx Helm Examples. Documentation (README.md) and PPT for HPCC Platform Development team and Tech Talk Presentation