So you've installed the HPCC Systems platform, Client Tools and ECL IDE (or an editor of your choice):
Certify your system is functioning correctly:
- Preflight - Open ECL Watch and navigate to the Operations area to run a preflight check on all Systems Servers and Cluster Processes to make sure all machines are running and operating as expected with available disk space, memory and CPU. Failed components or results falling outside the expected norm are shown in orange. Find out more using our Preflight and Certification Guide or Using ECL Watch Guide.
- _Certification - This example allows to check that the Thor and Roxie components are working correctly and giving results as expected. This example is located in your C:\Users\Public\Documents\HPCC Systems\ECL\My Files\Examples folder, however ECL IDE (or the editor you are using) will display the available files in your repository tree. Take a look at ReadMeFirst.ecl to make sure you are set up correctly and to find out the sequence you should use to run the files in the correct order. More information about running our _Certifcation script is available in our Preflight and Certification Guide.
- Run a basic 'Hello World' program both from the command line and using an editor, such as our ECL IDE.
- Run a simple anagram query on Thor.
- Spray a word list file to Thor and run a second anagram query using this file to evaluate which results are actual words. Publishing the query to Roxie allows you to use a web based interface (Ws-ECL) to enter a word from which to make anagrams using this query.
Work through our tutorials to see HPCC Systems in action:
- Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Find how many degrees of separation there are between Kevin Bacon and any actor included in the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), which you must download from the sources available (Germany, Finland or Sweden). As well as demonstrating the processing power of HPCC Systems, this example perfectly illustrates how to extract links and find relationships in large quantities of data. Find out more
- HPCC Systems Data Tutorial. Work through the query development process from beginning to end on HPCC Systems. See how ECL is used to process and query the data, which includes names and addresses. This tutorial also gives an introduction to our Data Refinery Cluster (Thor) and our Data Delivery Engine (Roxie). Download the tutorial PDF and data file from our website.
- Try out some ECL language features. Our ECL Programmers Guide includes a built in tutorial including example code allowing you to see how a sample of the most commonly used ECL language features work. Learn about ECL programming concepts, working with super files, using Roxie and embedded languages and datastores. Download the tutorial PDF and code zip file from our website (Chinese version also available).